Member American Society of Landscape Architecture (ASLA),
Registered Landscape Architect
Accredited Professional in Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED AP)
Ms. Yetken is the professional licensed landscape architect, President and founder of CYLA Design Associates, Inc. (formerly Carol Yetken Landscape Architect). Her extensive experience includes project conceptual design, design development, construction documents and observation related to outdoor environments. She conducts and guides research efforts, site assessments, prepares cultural landscape reports, treatment plans and design recommendations for historic preservation and also has particular expertise in sustainable & urban design. Ms. Yetken is a LEED Accredited Professional and actively seeks out strategies on every project promoting green energy, reducing stormwater runoff, reusing and recycling resources. She serves on the faculty of The School of the Art Institute in the graduate level Historic Preservation Program.
Yetken is active in professional and community activities, serving as a member of American Society of Landscape Architects Committee for the implementation of Historical American Landscape Survey (HALS) documentation, a former member of the Illinois Historic Sites Advisory Council (2010-2013), President and Board member of Pleasant Home Foundation, and former member of the Community Design Commission for the Village of Oak Park. Her firm is a City and State certified Women/Female Business Enterprise. She participates regularly in public education, giving lectures in landscape architecture and landscape preservation, history and garden design, sustainable landscapes and the work of Frank Lloyd Wright and Jens Jensen, landscape architect. The firm maintains offices in Oak Park, Illinois.
CYLA Design Associates, Inc. provides professional services in the areas of landscape architectural design, master planning, land use planning, cultural landscape preservation and landscape historical research related to commercial, urban, recreational and residential settings. CYLA, Inc. has extensive experience and works successfully with government agencies, private clients, landscape committees, and related professionals.
The office has full production capability and experience in-house with Cadd for drawing and construction documents, and computer resources in the areas of project management, accounting, desktop publishing, graphic design production and word processing.
MASTER OF LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE, University of Virginia, Graduate School of Architecture, Charlottesville, Virginia, 1981 – Graduated with Honors
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE/ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN, Ball State University, College of Architecture & Planning, Department of Landscape Architecture, Muncie, Indiana, 1978 – Graduated with Honors
Registration / Certification
- Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) Accredited Professional
- Licensed Landscape Architect, State of Illinois, USA
- Certified Women Enterprise/Disadvantaged Business Enterprise for City of Chicago, METRA (WBE/DBE)
- Female Business Enterprise (FBE), State of Illinois, USA
Memberships, Awards, Professional Affiliations & Community Service
- Member, ASLA, American Society of Landscape Architects
- Out-going Chair for Historic Preservation Professional Network (National)
- Member, HALS Sub-committee (National & Local Chapter)
- Member, ILASLA Marketing Committee (Illinois Chapter)
- Member, Illinois Historic Sites Advisory Council (2011-2013)
- Member, Steering Committee, Oak Park Village-Wide Preservation Study
- Member, Mayor’s Parks & Open Space Review Committee, City of Chicago
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Ball State University, 2003
- Board Member, Pleasant Home Foundation (1996 to present)
- Member, Marion Street Design Review Committee, Village of Oak Park
- Member (former), Landmarks Illinois Easement Review Committee
Exhibitions, Presentations, Publications (since 2000)
- “Jens Jensen In Oak Park” Post film screening discussion, September 2013
- “Historic Landscape Design” Friends of Historic Architecture, Hyde Park, Chicago, Illinois September 2013
- Yetken, Carol JH. “Restoring the Westcott House Gardens”, Save Wright, Frank Lloyd Wright Conservancy, Spring 2013, Volume 4, Issue 1.
- “Baha’i House of Worship Garden Rehabilitation” Presentation & garden walk to Illinois Arborist Association, September 2012.
- Wright Landscapes” Additions, Subtractions, and Adjacencies, presentation at Annual Meeting of the Frank Lloyd Wright Conservancy, Sept 2010.
- Historic Agriculture Main Presentation & Focus group facilitator; Bishop Hill Symposium, Bishop Hill, Illinois October 2009.
- Spirit Award, Frank Lloyd Wright Conservancy, October 2009, for Westcott House Restoration team.
- Chicago Historic Parks, ASLA Annual Meeting, Chicago September 2009.
- “Historic Landscape Sites in Oak Park”, N. Dakota State University Site Visit April 2009.
- “Sustainable Design”, Earth Summit, Wheaton, IL Oct 2008.
- The Sutton House, McCook Nebraska; Cornhusker Press, Hastings, Nebraska, 2008 by Donald Morgan and John Altberg – CYLA landscape design featured.
- Chicago’s Urban Nature: A Guide to the City’s Architecture + Landscape, University of Chicago Press, by Sally A. Kitt Chappell, 2007 Millennium Park featured.